Thursday, 12 August 2010

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)


"GI "Mediocre" JOE" - summit10

For the fact that millions of kids watched this animated series in the '80s, I think it would be fair enough to say that the film deserved better representation and character to deliver it on the big screen.

So many have anticipated these types of films and all would be really worth waiting and paying for. But unfortunately, it was a film built in CGI, lousy acting and directing!

How can someone bulid a set of characters wherein even the leaders of both factions has no charisma and character awareness or whatever it is they are doing?

I mean let's look for instance Cobra Commander who was represented by Joseph Gordon Levitt was really underrated, to think that he will be building his army of one of the most elite soldiers in animation history.

Destro carried much more of the load here with the help of Baroness and Storm Shadow, which I find more acting appreciation from these three.

On the other hand, Duke played by Channing Tatum and Gen. Hawk which Dennis Quaid really hit rock bottom.

To start, Channing Tatum really needs to go to an acting class, his stiff, boring, poker faced actor I have watched in my entire life. Duke should be the head strong, quick witted, strategist of the team, I really won 't even bother why they made that into script, stating that this guy should be one of the rookies.

Dennis Quaid's character in the film was a pompous prick who was always putting his arms on his waist and give orders, you gotta be kidding me? Gen. Hawk was a straightforward, tactical commander who started as a ballistics and heavy artilllery soldier, known for his courage and determination to stop the enemy forces. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to lecture, you would know better how to deliver these characters.

Ripcord, was the comedy relief at least he was there to save the day, Scarlett was in love with him? Where did that come from? You didn't give even ample respect to Road Block and put in Heavy Duty instead! You could have casted Terry Crews and have the comedic one liners for him to do.

Gung-ho was there and everyone knows it, he was cast as Brendan Frasier... I will not comment further on this!

Really good thing was, the Snake-Eyes is there and truly is the heart and soul of GIJOE, the pivotal role that was meant to be! Ray Park has done a great job! (except for the mouth in his face)

The plot is ok, but the film relied heavy on CGI and less on talent fees!

They say history repeats itself... go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment